Interesting History of Pizza Hut
Pizza Hut is a famous pizza restaurant, which has its presence worldwide. Read on and learn the interesting history of Pizza Hut.
- Pizza Hut history goes back to 1958 when it was founded by two University students Dan and Frank, who were brothers.
- The name Pizza Hut was chosen because the name board they purchased had space only for 9 characters.
- Dan and Frank borrowed US$ 600 from their mother to start the restaurant and the equipment they purchased for their first Pizza Hut was used.
- Pizza Hut was first opened in Wichita, Kansas, USA. The first restaurant had 25 seats.
- By 1971, Pizza Hut had become world's number 1 pizza restaurant chain.
- As of 2016, Pizza Hut is present in 100+ countries, and at 13728 locations worldwide.
- In 1986, Pizza Hut celebrated opening of 5000th Pizza Hut
- Pizza Hut has more than 300,000 employees.
- In 1971, Pizza Hut became the restaurant that has the most branches in the world.
- In 1977, Pizza Hut was sold to PepsiCo, for US$ 300 million. From $600 to $ 300 million in 19 years - amazing return on investment!!
- In 1989, Pizza Hut delivered its pizza to the White House, for the first time when Barbara the First Lady threw a party for 200 people.
- In 2001, Pizza Hut became the 1st company to deliver its pizza to International Space Station
- Due to rising popularity of its chicken wings, Pizza Hut opened another restaurant called WingStreet that sells chicken wings as its main food item
- In 2009, Pizza Hut launched its iPhone ordering app and in 2013, an app was launched for Xbox 360 users to order a pizza right from the gaming console.
Also read: History of KFC