How to reduce workplace stress? Usually workplace stress rules our life. We start our day with a thought of coping with workplace stress and end our day with more of workplace stress. Gradually this becomes the norm for most of us and it starts affecting our temperaments and well-being.
Here is a quick guide for reduction of workplace stress for you:
1) Routine Management Skills: With some of us it so happens that the moment we wake up in the morning, we start taking stresses related to kids feeding and sending to school, preparing for office, managing house hold or maids, making the end minute meeting points etc and when we reach the workplace we are already in a state of stress due to which we are unable to synchronize our workplace tasks effectively.
Instead, if we get up early and start our day with disciplines, fixed time table and good breakfast then not only will we reach work unstressed but will also remain positive and relaxed throughout the day and work related stresses will easily be done with.
You should try not to think of the problems, difficult task or anything like that when you wake up. Remember whatever your feeling are in the morning and your thoughts, you will face same kind of situations throughout your day.
2) Clear Guidelines: Most of us face the problem for not being clear on what has to be done. This is either because of the unclear guidelines given by the bosses or our disability to understand the command as given. When you are not clear of what to do and how to do it then you start feeling stressed and tensed. So in order to end this stress you need to be vigilant at what is being told to you, if you have questions ask or if you are unclear and confused then say it out so that he helps you get to the path. Sitting and thinking about things that are not in your control only stresses you more. Standing up and getting the tension relieved not only saves time but also reduces a lot of stress.
3) Conflicts increase conflicts: When working in a team or a department then it's difficult to part with the daily conflicts that may arise with co-workers or co-teams so the best way is to ignore the possibility of conflicts to the maximum level. For this you need to stop gossiping, sharing of personal opinions, refrain from discussing politics and issues that can bring life to arguments and if you face someone who is not a co-worker then try to ignore him too. Keep the office environment friendly by sharing good knowledge and positive humor. The easier the environment the lesser are chances of stressful situations.
4) Discipline yourself: As a professional you need to organize yourself. Planning things ahead of time not only save time but also helps in stress reduction or elimination. don't clutter tasks, rather try to get them sorted out as soon as possible. This way you will feel less burdened and relaxed and will be able to plan your future activities effectively.
5) Physical Issues: Sometimes physical discomfort helps in increasing stress levels. These discomforts may be a slow responding PC, Printer problems, discomforting chair and table or other accessories, discomforting or distracting people, noise pollution, telephone calls etc. If you think that a physical item is causing a hindrance to your performance think about replacing it or mending it. Remember you are at work and your priority is your
performance so any controllable hindrance to your performance should be worked out efficiently.
6) Say No to Multi-tasking: When we try to multi-task our tasks we end up in doing nothing. This increases stress and makes us tensed which further accelerates the stress so instead of multi-tasking we should try Chunking. Chunking means to divide your tasks and time into chunks like starting the day with a weekly report and allotting 20 minutes to that report. In that 20 minutes do only that report and nothing else, then switching to some essential phone calls for another 20 minutes where you do only the phone calls and nothing else and so on. This way you are able to complete more in less time and achieve your goals effectively.
7) Being a perfectionist actually helps: Do not give up, deliver or hand over your work before you are sure it's perfect. Although perfectionism is a little discouraged by most of the colleagues as this hinders their performance if they are connected to the same task but struggling to do your job perfectly helps you become stronger in your work, praised by higher-ups and less stressed about the work so you need to see where you should act like a perfectionist and where you can be a little vigilant.
8) Be physically active: People having a 9 to 5 sitting job start feeling monotonous, sleepy and stressed out after lunch breaks which affects positive working. Stress can badly affect such people so it is recommended to stay active. One way to do this can be a walk or light exercise at lunch break as this can help reduce sleepiness and alert the mind and body for effective working.
9) Musical Drive: After a day full of stresses the drive home should be smooth. Usually this doesn't happen as you are confronted with traffic jams, road blocking etc on the way home. This can be controlled by listening to your favorite music while driving home. Not only does music relieve stress.
Workplace Stress does no good to us rather destroys us like a virus so instead of ignoring it it's better to eliminate it forever.