According to a research, from 2% to 10% children are addicted to video games. There are many negative effects of video game addiction; these are mentioned below.
Too much gaming can result in anger and depression. People who play alone also have to struggle with loneliness, and even embarrassment for isolating themselves from the family.
Other emotional problems linked with game addiction include feeling of restlessness with unable to play, preoccupation with thoughts of previous game session, lying to friends regarding amount of time you spent playing.
This is not a problem for children but for adults who tend to spend a lot of money on purchase of games. The money that should be spent on the family is spent unnecessarily on games.
Furthermore, due to excessive gaming, his performance at job can also be reduced and tiredness or sleepiness due to excessive gaming may result in losing of interest at work, and may even result in getting fired by the employer.
There are various health problems associated with too much gaming. These include psychological issues, vision problems, muscular problems, obesity and many more. For list of common health problems experienced by gamers, read Negative Effects of Video Gaming on Health.
Video game addicts spend less time with friends and family and others. Due to less in-person contact with people, the gamer may experience social isolation, depression and loneliness.
Due to very little contact with people in-person, the gamer will not be fully comfortable going in parties, gathering with friends and family, as he has already isolated him/her self too much from social activities.
Excessive gaming can lead to conflicts with the family. One may become aggressive when someone wants you to limit your gaming time. Furthermore, not giving enough time to your family and sibling may also trigger the parents to react and start interfering with your gaming sessions or even stop you from playing at certain times. Such situations can put in gaps between you and the family, and you may also often have to involve in arguments and fights with the family.
These were the negative effects of playing video games when you get addicted to these. In the view of the above, it should be realized that video games should be played within limits. Time, family, friends, your health should not be compromised to something very harmful.
Various studies have been carried out to understand negative effects of video gaming on children's health. The studies have reported that the children who play video games more than two hours a day can develop various health problem, and most of the victims are boys.
The following health problems have been reported that can occur to children who play video games too much.
1. Children who play more than 2 hours of video games per day have difficulty in paying attention in school.
2. Dark circles around the eyes develop by excessive video gaming.
3. Muscular stiffness is also felt by sitting at one position for long time while playing.
4. Children may experience sleep deprivation.
5. Increased depression in females and aggression in males may develop
6. Children feel pain or numbness in neck, wrist and hands.
7. Excessive game playing may also cause vision problems
8. One of the common health problems experienced is obesity. It was observed that 1.5 hour of video game playing increases need of food intake, regardless of how your appetite is.
9. Headaches and even migraine can occur.
These are the video game health problems reported by various studies. There could be more health problems than these. It is also worth mentioning here that Barack Obama, in 2009 observed video gaming as a health concern and cause of very unhealthy life style. Hence, it is always advisable not to play too much video games. Furthermore, it should also be ensured that physical games should be given more time than video games, as these are healthy, good for mind and body both, and increases social networking with friends and family. Physical games also do not get addicted as video games, which is definitely another plus point for playing physical games.
There are many advantages and disadvantages of video games, and these are listed below:
Disadvantages of Gaming
- When played alone, you isolate yourself from your family members. Since most games are single-player, you could be criticized as well for being so non-social.
- Games do not include physical activity, hence you can make yourself unfit by sitting playing games for long times. Some Virtual Reality (VR) games require you to stand, move while playing e.g. tennis but these are expensive to buy and the VR devices are not available everywhere.
- Games are addictive. Playing a game can take 10s of hours every week - the time which you could spent doing more sociable or productive.
- Constant playing games for long times can result into eye, wrist, thumb strain. Excessive playing for long times can also lead to other physical problems.
Advantages of Gaming
- Some games can help you improve your intellectual level and improve your brain power.
- Playing games help you improve your thinking ability, which in result also help in improving your response time to positive or negative events.
- You improve your memory by regularly playing games that require remembering objects throughout the game play.
- You improve your ability to track objects in real life.
- Gaming also help in you learn how to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Games are fun for people of all ages.
There are many ways to play games nowadays. Here are the three different types of technologies available to play video games.
1. Mobile Phones
There are thousands of game apps available to download for free and for little money. Anyone with a smartphone can download and play any game or uninstall it easily whenever he wishes to do so. The only disadvantage of playing games on the phone is that the screen is very small, hence there is discomfort as well as lack of joy in playing the games.
2. Consoles Used with TV Screens
These consoles usually connect to TV screens and they comes in several different types. The popular ones nowadays are Xbox, PlayStation and Wii.
The price tag these consoles come with is usually very high. Furthermore, each game DVD is also very costly, hence limiting the gamer's option to get most out of the console.
3. Personal Computers (PC)
PCs offer a large variety of configuration options for the gamers to enjoy the game to the fullest. PCs can be upgraded with special graphic and audio cards to enhance the visual and audio experience. PCs are also cheaper than any other gaming console and are easily available to purchase from most electronic markets near to you.
You can download thousands of free and paid games on your PC. In addition, CDs and DVDs are available in the market for all types of games, which are also not expensive.
4. Handheld Gaming Console
These are small devices, same size as typical mobile phones. They come pre-installed with one game or many different games. Some of the popular ones include Nintendo 3DS, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation Vita. These consoles are lightweight and not very costly. Many of their models often also feature a camera, Internet browser and other applications.