Learn about the top 3 best alternatives to Windows operating system. These are the operating systems that may get famous soon and widespread in every continent. Overcoming Microsoft's Windows is highly unlikely but it is expected that a good number of people at homes, offices and universities will be using these operating systems. Let's find out about these strong alternatives to Microsoft Windows.
1. Chrome OS
This operating system is designed by Google and comes pre-installed in Google's notebook computers Chromebook and desktop computers Chromebox. Chrome OS was released in 2009 and has been getting fame very fast due to its user-friendly interface and performance.
Unlike Windows, you cannot download and install Chrome OS on any computer. As per the official site of Chrome OS, this operating system can only be used when you buy Chromebook or Chromebox. These computers are available for purchase on various online stores including Amazon, eBay and others. It is said that Chrome OS loads in seconds and applications run on it very fast.
This is another operating system that also comes only pre-installed with computers, known as Macbook and iMac. macOS was developed by the famous IT company Apple, the makers of iPhone and iPad.
macOS is considered stable operating system, and less prone to virus attacks and hacking, compared to Windows operating system. This operating system offers very stylish graphical interface for the users and many people like it due to its innovative design of GUI (graphical user interface).
macOS has been known for many many years, and thatâ€™s why you will find a good number of people who already use macOS and are also well versed in it.
3. Linux Mint
This is the operating system that all or most of the Windows users will like. It is very user-friendly and its most functionalities and the way how windows look and how they open and close are very similar to those in Windows. Linux Mint comes pre-installed with many software applications and hardware drivers. If you want to try Linux Mint, you can download it from the official website and try it out.
Other Operating Systems
There are many other operating systems, some are being developed, some are in beta state, some in alpha and some are already being used by a few groups, companies or small number of home users as well. These include Solaris, Ubuntu, Fedora, SteamOS, Haiko, ReactOS, Syllable, SkyOS and more.
Pros and Cons of New Operating Systems
These are the top alternatives to Windows operating system. Although these are very good, stable and high-performance operating systems, it will still be very hard for them to overcome Windows, which has been in use for more than 30 years. Furthermore, as with anything, people resist change and do not want to learn a new thing unnecessarily. The other major downside of these operating systems is that these are not fully compatible with every software application yet, hence you may not be able to run all your favorite apps on these operating systems.
There are several pros and cons of laptop computers. So, if you were wanting to know the advantages and disadvantages of laptops, read on to find them out..
Advantages of Laptop Computers
- The major advantage of laptops is that they are portable. You can take them anywhere you want - your couch, office, bedroom, with ease.
- You can unplug them from power outlet and continue doing your work.
- All the computer components i.e. mouse, keyboard, monitor - are all combined together, so you don't have to carry them separately as in case of a Desktop PC
- Laptops are small in size, hence take very less space to place anywhere.
- Due their light weight and small size, you can carry with you anywhere - on the train, car, plane, etc.
Disadvantages of Laptop Computers
- Laptops are easier to be stolen or misplaced, due to their size and weight.
- These are harder to repair, since almost all of the IT components are a single unit. If one component stops working, in some cases you will have to replace the
entire circuit board with a new one, or buy a new laptop.
- Compared to Desktop PCs, fewer parts from the laptops can be unplugged, when needed.
- High performance laptops come with comparatively very high price tags.
- Usually, a CPU, RAM and Hard drive are up-gradable. All other components like graphics card, audio card are built into the main circuit board and cannot be upgraded.
These were advantages and disadvantages of laptop computers. What id your experience with laptops? Share pros and cons that you know about laptops with others, in the comments section below.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Desktop PCs
- Difference between Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad CPUs
- Find out: What is an Ultrabook
There are many advantages and disadvantages of Smartphones and these are listed below.
Advantages of Smartphones
- Most smart phones fit easily in your pant or shirt pocket. Hence, you can carry your all-in-one device for emailing, playing, telephoning, Facebooking, etc., in your pocket all the time.
- No matter what you want to do, applications of all kinds are available for download for free or for low prices.
- You can use your Smartphone as a storage device. You can copy or download your office or personal files onto your phone and access them with a USB cable or wirelessly anytime.
- Smartphones are instantly ready for you. No matter which app you want to you e.g. email, Facebook, chatting or any other, you just unlock your screen and open the app by clicking on it, and it opens right away. Unlike a computer, where you have to wait for the operating system (i.e. Windows or Mac OS) to load first before you can do anything else.
- Much cheaper option than a desktop or laptop computer
Disadvantages of Smartphones
- Smartphones let you watch multimedia but the size of the screen may be not large enough to watch videos conveniently.
- These are not suitable for heavy work or very fast processing.
- Memory in most smartphones is not enough to hold large bulk of data.
- If you lose your smartphone, the stranger who gets hold of it can see your emails, WhatsApp chats, your photos, your Facebook data and any other thing that is on your Smartphone.
- These were the Smartphones Advantages and Smartphones Disadvantages. Do you want to share an advantage or disadvantage of smartphones? You may do so in the comments section below.
Everyone has heard about NASA, but there are many interesting facts about NASA that you probably haven't heard before. So, here comes the 8 top interesting facts about NASA.
1. In case NASA finds life on any other planet, it has a department that has responsibility to make sure that no other life can harm our planet. Furthermore, their duty is to diver ways on how to protect us, our planet and its environment from different types of attacks by the aliens
2. Once three Yemeni men sued NASA for landing their vehicles on Mars. They claimed that Mars is their property and they inherited it from their ancestors.
3. NASA accidentally copied over thousands of tapes that contained videos on moon landing. However, copies were available with other organizations from where NASA restored the videos.
4. NASA runs experiment in which they will pay you for laying on the bed for months so that they can observe how muscles and bones may deteriorate in space when astronaut stay in one place for long times.
5. During the staff training sessions, NASA shows the Armageddon movie and asks the staff to identify scientific inaccuracies in it.
6. The inventor of Super Soacker (water gun), Lonnie Johnson was a NASA scientist.
7. NASA receives 0.005% in funding from the yearly budget.
8. The last of the top facts about NASA is that NASA is aiming to send humans to Mars by 2025. They also plan to build houses and create and make available all the necessities there that are required by humans.
These were top NASA facts, hope you enjoyed these :)